Despite that it's one of the most difficult summer side dish categories to make a clear-cut judgement on, I want to share my Cavatappi (Corkscrew-Shaped) Pasta Salad recipe that received some very high accolades recently. I firmly believe that it's the only Cavatappi Pasta Salad recipe you'll ever need.
|The perfect summer side dish: Brad's Cavatappi Pasta Salad|
Brad's Cavatappi Pasta SaladYeilds: 15 Servings
16 oz. Cavatappi Pasta, cooked al dente (drained and cooled)
1 Cup English Cucumber, cubed (1/4 inch sauare)
1 Pint Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1/4 Cup Red Onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp Capers, drained
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts, toasted
4 oz. Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
1/3 Cup Flat (Italian) Parsley, roughly chopped
For The Dressing -- Classic Aioli:
1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- Combine all of the main ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small non-reactive bowl, thoroughly whisk together the Garlic Paste and Lemon Juice.
- After the Garlic Paste and Lemon Juice are emulsified together, very slowly drizzle in the Olive Oil while quickly whisking at the same time. It may be best to place the bowl on a cloth so that it doesn't shift around while your are whisking.
- I can not stress enough how important it is to add the Olive Oil very, very slowly (in a thin, steady stream) as you whisk. This will ensure that the acid and the oil emulsify properly.
- Whisk in the Sea Salt.
- Once your Aioli is complete, completely work it in with the main ingredients, making sure to coat the salad evenly.
- Cover the bowl and let the pasta salad chill in the refrigerator until it's time to serve.